Monday, June 30, 2014

Resource Note - Digital Serial Bus Technologies - I2C

In a context of digital electronics, a brief couple of resources bout the I2C serial bus protocol:
  • Blozis, Steve and Jean-Marc Irazaba. I2C Logic Family Overview . Philips. 2004
    • Extensive presentation, even in its "slide format"
    • Provides a thorough technical overview about I2C as a serial bus protocol
    • Contains some useful "Best practice" advice, e.g. with a reference to the NXP P82B96 Dual bidirectional bus buffer
  
  •  Blozis, Steve and Jean-Marc Irazaba. I2C Manual. Philips. 2003
    • Provides an overview and comparison onto other serial bus protocols
      • UART
      • SPI
      • CAN
      • USB
      • IEEE-1394 Firewire
      • SMBUS
    • A survey of individual connectors for cables in circuits using those protocols is available from Western Digital: WD Interface Guide (HTML)  (PDF)
    •  Thorough explanation of theory and technology represented in the I2C serial bus protocol
    • Observe that the I2C serial bus, in bidirectional bus operation, may be operated at one of three individual rates of clock timing -- maximum clock rates:
      • 100 kbit/s (Standard-mode / Sm)
      • 400 kbit/s (Fast-mode / Fm)
      • 1 Mbit/s (Fast-mode Plus / Fm+
      • 3.4 Mbit/s (High-speed mode / Hs-mode)
    • In unidirectional bus operation, the bus may be operated in Ultra Fast-mode (UFm) at a maximum clock rate of 5 Mbit/s
    • A multi-master I2C  protocol, effectively, would require a bidirectional mode of I2C bus operation

No comments:

Post a Comment