Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Quantum Computers use Clocks Too -- A Commentary about Quantum Computing, After a News Item about Quantum Chronography

Ed. note: For sake of brevity, I'm going to simply include my social networking comment, here, verbatim, in its "last draft" edition. It's "finals week" at DVUO, this "session".


Understanding it would be a sidebar to the matter of atomic clocks as chronographs,[1] moreover as a student of a certain digital electronics course at an online U, but I wonder if they could make a digital circuit using an atomic clock? Something about rate of clock pulse -- and sure, I can "Do my own research" just like "My own homework". For instance, there's something about MIT's AI Labs, it was called CADR, a successor to the CONS machine, both being "Lisp Machines". I understand that the schematics for CADR are formally in the public domain, now? In contemporary circuitry, there's the PRU-ICSS on the MCU used by the BeagleBone Black single board computer -- the PRU-ICSS modules, two of each on that MCU, those can run at different clock rates, as denoted in TI's own data sheets, which TI publishes.

I wonder, then, could innovations in atomic timekeeping affect digital circuit design, positively? Like, atoms -- the new germanium, perhaps? In a sense, towards transitorising the atom? [2] I'm sure MIT's physicists would be more capable than I to understand how that could go, though, LoL LoL

[1] http://www.nature.com/news/quantum-network-would-be-most-precise-clock-yet-1.15406
[2] http://www.wired.com/2012/02/sa-transistor/ -- there's a reason why they chose Phosophorous as the element of that atom, it being not an arbitrary thing, no doubt. One observes then, that that article includes a bibliographical reference too -- not sure it's too high level for the classes I'm in, though, quite seriously.

Further resources in theories of quantum computing, "Beyond punched cards"

No comments:

Post a Comment