Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Eclipse IDE - Versions / Version Names Table

In the interest of having a UML tool available on my Chromebook's Crouton Chroot (KDE) I've installed the Eclipse IDE.

My Chromebook is a Samsung Chromebook, and it uses an ARM microcontroller unit. I've installed the Eclipse platform from the Ubuntu 12.04, "Precise" repository. The Eclipse Platform edition available via "Precise" is at version 3.7.2, i.e Indigo.

In the interest of disambiguation, I've found a convenient table of version number/name pairs, at the Eclipse (software) page at Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. With reference denoted directly to that resource, for the following direct copy of that table, here is the version/names table, "to date".


Version NameDatePlatform versionProjects
N/A21 June 20043.0[14]
N/A28 June 20053.1
Callisto30 June 20063.2Callisto projects[15]
Europa29 June 20073.3Europa projects[16]
Ganymede25 June 20083.4Ganymede projects[17]
Galileo24 June 20093.5Galileo projects[18]
Helios23 June 20103.6Helios projects[19]
Indigo22 June 20113.7Indigo projects[20]
Juno27 June 20123.8 and 4.2[21]
Juno projects[24]
Kepler26 June 20134.3Kepler projects[25]
Luna25 June 2014 (planned)4.4Luna projects[26]
Mars24 June 2015 (planned)4.5Mars projects[27]

The formatting and footnotes from the original Wikipedia article are preserved, here, respectively in the interests of brevity and informativeness.

The Ubuntu Debian source package for the Eclipse platform is eclipse. The source package is currently available at Eclipse Platform version 3.8, i.e Juno

I'm not sure why the Ubnut Ubuntu eclipse package is not keeping up with Eclipse IDE platforms releases. Kepler would be the preferred edition, certainly.

So, alternately, I can try to open up such a proverbial can of worms as would entail compiling Eclipse 4.3 "From scratch." For some reason, I'm unable to download an edition compiled for Linux ARM, if directly from Eclipse.org, and the edition at Ubuntu.com is not "Up to latest" The Ubuntu edition does, however, match the version of the edition available via the Debian eclipse source package , currently available at 3.8.1-5.1 in Debian Jessie and the "continuous" Sid edition.

Presently, I think I'll just rely on the IDE's built-in package upgrades system. If there have been any changes in the SWT binding or the JVM interface since Eclipse Platform 3.7, then in a word, "Darn," those won't be available on my Chromebook, unless I can figure out how to compile Eclipse 4.3 directly from source, either on my Chromebook, or (more complex) on another platform, with cross-compile.

I think I'll just use the built-in Eclipse plugin uprgades feature, "for now", and so inasmuch I'll have to use the  Indigo edition of the Eclipse Papryus plugins.  "Good times...."

No comments:

Post a Comment